How To Get a Tutor?
Come to the Tutoring and Study Center (TSC) office at 111 Waverly Ave, Suite 220 or to our extended hours in Bird Library (5-8pm Monday-Thursday) to sign up for MYTUTOR,our online system, to request a tutor. Please know that you MUST come to the Center just ONCE to be activated in the system.
Many of the resources and services available through the Tutoring and Study Center come free of charge, but some do have a fee attached. Those fees are as follows:
- Undergraduate Level Tutor: $15.00/hour
- Graduate Level Tutor: $20.00/hour
- Professional Level I Tutor: $25.00/hour
- Professional Level II Tutor: $30.00/hour
- Undergraduate Level Tutor: $20.00/hour
- Graduate Level Tutor: $25.00/hour (Group tutoring is when 2 or more students want to meet with a tutor for the same course at the same time/date. This fee is then divided among the number of students attending.
TSC Tutoring Fees and Sponsor Information
There are many offices and colleges on campus that sponsor (pay for) student tutoring needs through the TSC. You must contact these offices individually for specific eligibility questions and qualifications. Fill in a Request for Sponsorship Form and bring it to the office or school/college with which you are affiliated:
- College of Engineering and Computer Science, 443-2582
- College of Human Ecology, 443-3144
- Collegiate Science & Technology Entry Program (CSTEP), 443-2622
- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) , 443-2622
- Office of Disability Services (ODS) , 443-4498
- Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) , 443-9676
- Office of Supportive Services (OSS) , 443-3867
- School of Architecture, 443-2256
- School of Education, 443-2506
- School of Information Studies
- School of Management , 443-2361
- SummerStart , 443-1166
- The Partnership for a Better Education (PBE) , 443-4181
- Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) , 443-2517
How do I become a TSC tutor?
- “B+” or better in the course(s) for which you tutor.
- Minimum 3.0 overall cumulative GPA or special permission from TSC Director and Department Chair.
- Signature of the Department Chairperson or Professor for each subject.
- Participation in training to become a better tutor, review policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Completed I-9 at Student Employment, 210 Steele Hall (315-443-2268).
- All tutors are encouraged to attend a 10 hour tutor training course.
- Upon completion of this course you will receive:
- 1st preference for tutoring positions
- Training Certificate
- You also have the option of enrolling in EDU 400/600, The Pedagogy of Peer Tutoring and Peer Tutor Training, for 3 credits. Instructor permission is required to join this class.
Tutor Pay Rate
- Undergraduate: one-to-one tutoring $8.50hour; with Level II or III training $9.00-$10.00/hourGroup tutoring $10.00/hour; with Level II or III training $12.00/hour
- Graduate: one-to-one tutoring $11.00/hour, with Level II or III training $12.00-$15.00/hour
Group tutoring $15.00/hour; with Level II or III training $17.00/hour
- Professional Tutor Level I – $20.00/hour
PRINT AND FILL IN A TUTOR APPLICATION
PRINT AND FILL IN A TUTOR CONTRACT
FORM TO ADD ADDITIONAL COURSES
Research has shown that…
- Additional training causes people to become better tutors.
- Tutoring experience will enhance your resume.
- Peer tutoring helps students do better in their courses and study more efficiently.